Thursday, October 14, 2010

Chucking a 'Sickie'

Today I'm chucking a sickie. Yay -  no work for me! Mainly because yesterday was so shit, and work doesn't make me particularly happy, and I really just needed a day for me. And so far it's been very productive! I've cleaned and mopped and prepared a job application (which I'm going to hand deliver shortly) and caught up on some washing. All very exciting things.


Not.

But at least I've accomplished something on this slack day. My reason for calling in sick was 'I don't feel very well' and that was that. A bug has been going around the office lately so at least it's kind of plausible. As the phone was ringing and I was waiting to advise them of my absence, I pondered what the best reason for my day off would be. I came up with this list of top 10 sickie excuses:
 
 

  1. Migraine. Always a goody because its an OHS concern for the employee to sit in front of a computer screen all day - plus it can knock you out for 2 days if you want an extended break.
  2. Cold/Cough. You can play it up a day before and like the Migraine excuse, it can buy you a few days.
  3. Food Poisoning. No one can deny the horrible effects of this - perfect excuse for a day off.
  4. Don't feel very well. This was the excuse today...if they ask you for more  details just say 'I feel nauseous and feverish' and that generally does the trick.
  5. Gastro. Need I say anymore?
  6. Car trouble. Saying you've broken down, waiting for a mechanic, not sure when you will be in, and then ringing back 2 hours later saying you're not going to be in today....excellent!
  7. Burst water main/pipes at home. You have to stay til it's fixed, and that could be hours!
  8. If you have children (unfortunately I don't) they often provide the best excuse coz it's not you that is sick, it's them.
  9. Insomnia - say you have been up since 1am and have a dr 's appointment to get some medication. One day doesn't require a medical certificate, so you're home free.
  10. 'I can't come in today, but I can't tell you why.' Makes it sound so serious and personal that 99% of people will not dare ask any further.

    Ok I'm off now to take in my job application, and maybe have a little nap :)



No comments:

Post a Comment